Sunday, October 09, 2005

Dusters

1.
drunks dancing
that meandering
waltz of the desperate
as the band
looks away
from the inevitable crash
at their feet

she with skirt too short
exposing cellulite
flesh and black cotton underwear
he with mullet too long
for good taste
and pants too tight for imagination

2.
not a good looking
one in the bunch
this group of misfits
that met on-line
in some chat room
and now they sit
conversing loudly
in computer code
over bottles of Bud
and Alabama Slammers
in pitchers

women playing
musical chairs
men squeezing out
every line they know
in the hopes that tonight
it won’t just be
them and their
keyboard
up all night
together
3.
if you tip
the waitress well
at the beginning
of the night
she will be sure
your glass is never
empty

this waitress
could give a damn
the men tip her well
and she still ignores them
there are just too many
people here tonight
she has a headache
and the country music
the band is playing
is bringing out the
red-neck in the bikers
as they ask her to dance
and try to find out
what time she is off

4.
walk the gauntlet
to the bathrooms
take the 6’2” boyfriend
if need be
self preservation
for your ass

prepare the comebacks
in advance
thanks but I think my big
burley boyfriend would mind.
do you kiss your mother
with that mouth?
take your fucking hands
off me please.
niceties just don’t work
in a place like this

5.
do I really need to
wash my hands
that badly?
“that bitch was all over
your man
I think you should
kick her in the cunt”
says the one in the
tight Pleather skirt
ass suctioned to the
linoleum wall
“when we get back
to the table I am going
to drag her outside
by the hair”
says the other one
as she applies blue
war paint
to her eyelids
in the small mirror
above the dripping
stained sink


“you’re much
better looking
than her anyhow”
I say in a commanding
voice from behind
they turn their
big feathered heads
at me
“fuck yah she is!”
says Pleather
and raises her Bud
blue eyes nods
her head
“I’m gonna kick
that bitch’s ass”
and turns on her
4” heels and
storms out
Pleather teeters
out after her

I move into
their little space
and wash my hands
sometimes its best
to make friends
in bathrooms
than enemies
in bar rooms

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home